By Richard Cleasby
First released in 1874, this landmark dictionary of outdated Icelandic is either authoritative and finished. It bargains hundreds of thousands of illustrative quotations, complete descriptions of pronunciation for each letter, and an in depth define of grammar that comes with the outdated Icelandic alphabet, note formation, and spelling. The 52-page complement incorporates a checklist of extra phrases and references from the 11th century to the mid-fourteenth century. a vital aspect of reference for any pupil of outdated Icelandic, complement writer Sir William A. Craigie acknowledged in 1957 that 'though the dictionary is principally meant for the previous authors, either in prose and poetry, it endeavours to include an account of the full language, previous and new'.
Read or Download An Icelandic-English Dictionary PDF
Best foreign language dictionaries & thesauruses books
Georgian has occasionally been defined as a language that's 'totally irregular', the place the notions of 'subject', 'object' and 'indirect item' don't have any relevance. even though it is frequently pointed out in paintings on basic linguistics, language universals and language typology, no systematic account of the syntax of this morphologically complicated language has been to be had for Western linguists.
Whether you don't like crossword puzzles, you could prove loving those. Designed for mother-tongue or thoroughly fluent audio system of Spanish eager to enhance their English abilities, the puzzles can also be interesting to English audio system. they're formatted in order that every one puzzle could be solved in 15 to half-hour.
This stimulating new booklet, which mixes dictionary examine and linguistic wisdom, analyses the illustration of which means in enterprise dictionaries from a pedagogical point of view. by way of studying intimately the macrostructure, mediostructure, entry constitution and microstructure of 8 company dictionaries, this e-book provides fascinating findings on how the dictionaries studied symbolize the 'noun-term', and on how they focus on the foundations of recent lexicography that goals at fixing the desires of a selected form of person with particular kinds of difficulties regarding a particular kind of person state of affairs.
- Colloquial Polish: The Complete Course for Beginners
- West Futuna Aniwa: An Introduction to a Polynesian Outlier Language (University of California Publications in Linguistics)
- Modern Hebrew for Intermediate Students
- A Dictionary of Iraqi Arabic: English-Arabic (Arabic Series)
- The Ultimate French Review and Practice : Mastering French Grammar for Confident Communication
Extra info for An Icelandic-English Dictionary
You've been applying for so many. 5. Anne: Génal, of course. That's the company where 1 did my last placement. Just as 1 wanted, l'll move from marketing to human resources - personal "assistant to the director, with executive status. 6. Mrs Thibaud: You see, the fact that you're a girl - the so-called weaker sex - was not a handicap, 7. as you feared. Anne: That's right. Besides, Génal has a reputation for giving an equal place to women in all areas. It's a shrewd policy, because, after all, a large number of our customers throughout the world are women, or, at le àst, the purchasing decision lies with them.
Entretien 18. agréer 19. distinguées 20. PI 22 CHAPITRE 3 1 = 1 L'entretien Dans une tour de la Défense, le bureau de M. Quéré, DRH de Génal France SA, filiale française d' une multinationale suisse, un des leaders mondiaux de l' agro-alimentaire. (Un coup discret à la porte) (1)(2) 1. M. Quéré : Entrez ! 2. Mlle Lavergne : Monsieur le Directeur, Monsieur Ancel vient d'arriveL 3. M. Quéré : Il est à l'heure : un bon point pour lui. Avez-vous préparé son dossier? 4. Mlle Lavergne : Oui, Monsieur.
10. La société confirmera son emploi par un contrat à durée indéterminée ou CDI. Translation 1. Les bureaux de notre filiale italienne sont situés dans une tour à Milan. 2. Le Directeur des ressources humaines (DRH) vient d' arriver, Monsieur. Dois-je le faire entier ? 3. Si vous ne . voulez pas attirer l ' attention, soyez à l 'heure et ne portez pas de chemise sombre. 4. Je suis désolé, mais le CV de M. Ancel n'était pas dans la chemise que vous avez laissée sur mon bureau. 5. Même si j ' avais besoin d'argent, je n 'aimerais pas faire du porte-à-porte, que ce soit à Paris ou en province.